Thursday, October 11, 2012

It’s Alive: Why Radio Survived the Death of Traditional Media


I thought this seminar was extremely well prepared and ran pretty smoothly. For the first criterion, ‘seminar content is focused and relevant’, I gave them a distinction. I did this because I thought the questions they asked their guests were very relevant and tailored towards finding more about how to actually get into the industry, rather than just the way it was run. I particularly liked how they asked each of the guests to share their own personal story of how they entered the industry, as it provided real life examples of how to do so rather than just general advice. I would have given them an HD but I felt that even though I enjoyed the band performance at the end, I didn’t think it was entirely relevant and felt like it was kind of tacked on at the end just for added entertainment. That said, it did make the seminar more memorable and break up the talking. For the ‘guests relevance to topic and career development’ I gave them ah HD. I liked the fact that they had four guests from very different positions at very different radio stations. I thought it was particularly great that they had May Hu from SBS there, because she provided a very interesting perspective on radio from a different culture. The guests were also at very different stages in their career and of varied ages, and I felt this helped to give a broader perspective of where a career in radio can lead. I gave the group another D for the ‘quality of the seminar facilitation’. They did have a few different sound and lighting issues that were noticeable, but I really liked the way that they had structured the seminar and talked to each guest individually before moving into the panel discussion. I awarded them a credit for audience participation, because I didn’t think there was a whole lot of this. And finally I gave them a HD for the promotion of the seminar, because I had noticed a lot of signage and marketing material online in the lead up to the seminar.

No comments:

Post a Comment